If a guard drives down the lane and the other team’s post defender steps up to help, the dump off to the post player will be open. You might look at players like Tyson Chandler and think that finishing a dump-off pass is relatively easy, but many things go into being able to finish around the basket.
A big key to finishing is having the big man have his/her momentum moving towards the basket as they catch the dump-off pass. This is important because the other team’s post defender is going to try and turn to recover and block the shot, and if they gather slowly, the chance of getting the shot blocked is a lot higher. However, sometimes whether you come into the finish the right way or not, the post defender recovers quickly and still is in a position to potentially block the shot, and that is what this basketball post move drill is going to work on. Using basketball drills like this will really help with the big man’s footwork, hands, and finishing around the basket.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Post Pull Through Shot Fake Reverse Finish Post Move Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and 1 partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Pull Through Reverse Finish Post Move Basketball Drill
- Pull Through Finish Post Move Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on spacing when the guard drives, catching the pass, and then finishing with the inside hand.
- Get out and space as quickly as you can.
- Make sure that you are moving towards the basket as you are catching the ball.
- Violently sell the shot fake and give the defender time to get off of the ground.
- Make sure that you don’t travel.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player will start on the block like they are posting up, and the passer will be at about the elbow wing area with the ball.
- Now the player is going to space to the short corner like the ball was just driven down the paint.
- As they do, the partner is going to fire them a pass.
- The player must catch the pass moving towards the basket, and as they do, they are going to front pivot, shot fake, and then finish on the other side of the rim (without using any dribbles).
- The player will get the ball out of the net, pass it out, and then reset.
- After completing the desired amount of reps, switch sides, and repeat.