This is a more advanced two ball basketball dribbling drill, but it can be very beneficial to a ball handler if mastered. It is a great basketball dribbling drill because it works on both hands simultaneously, and it makes you think about having to dribble two basketballs at the same time. Every time you do a move, you have to think about the other hand doing another move.
It is also great to work on the double behind the back move and improve overall hand-eye coordination and touch. With getting a lot of repetitions at the double behind the back move, you will have more confidence to use this move in a live-game situation. One of the reasons you use basketball drills like this is to develop confidence with all of your moves.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Progression Double Behind the Back Basketball Dribbling Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 Basketballs
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- 1 Dribble Double Crossover Two Ball Basketball Dribbling Drill
- 1 Dribble Double Between the Legs Two Ball Basketball Dribbling Drill
- 1 Dribble Behind the Back Two Ball Basketball Dribbling Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Improve hand speed, strength, and handles.
- Keep your eyes up.
- Push yourself, and don’t be afraid to mess up.
- Keep your back straight.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Get low in an athletic position, dribble both basketballs at the same time 1, 2, 0r 3 times (depending on the skill level of the player – 3 being the easiest), and then cross one ball behind your back and the other in front of you.
- Immediately cross both basketballs over to their original sides.
- Take another stationary dribble(s) and then do the same move, but start the double behind the back move with the opposite hand.
- Alternate which hand starts it every time.