This basketball drill is designed to help you warm up before a workout or a game and get you ready to go. With this drill, you will work on your ball handling and finishing at the basket with four different types of layups. It only takes a few minutes to this drill, and it will help you get loose and ready to go full speed.
You must learn to finish around the basket with different types of layups to help protect yourself from the shot blocker. This basketball finishing drill is also good because you get to see the ball go in a few times, which will give the player more confidence shooting.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Progression Finishing Warm Up Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Warm-up, work on ball handling, and finishing at the basket.
- Keep your eyes up and dribble tight to your body.
- Protect the basketball when you are finishing and visualize the defender in front of you.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player is going to start on either lane line under the basket.
- They will do crossovers back and forth to the elbow, turn and go across the free-throw line doing scissor between the legs moves.
- Once they reach the opposite elbow, they will do an in and out move and attack the basket for a layup.
- They will go through the drill four times in a row before switching sides, and they will do four different layups in this order; strong hand layup, weak hand layup, a regular reverse layup, and Mikan reverse layup.