The technique that a post player uses to finish around the basket can be the difference between a made basket/foul on the defender or a blocked shot. Many players will open up their body to the defender when they go to finish, which allows the defender a clear line to the ball.
With this basketball post move drill, you will practice catching the ball, squaring your shoulders to the basket, and then finishing with your outside hand. This move will be used when a ball handler drives down the lane, and the big man spaces slightly for the drop-off and finish at the basket. As you go through this basketball drill, do your best to visualize this action and make sure that the post player moves towards the basket on the catch and takes advantage of the finish before the defensive post player can fully recover.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Pull-Through Finish Post Move Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 Basketball and a partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- How to do a Duck In Post Move in Basketball
- Hook Shot Gather Finish Basketball Drill
- How to do a Drop Step Post Move in Basketball
Goals of the Drill
- Work on your footwork, catching, squaring up to the basket, and finishing at the rim.
- The player needs to get out quickly and then be attacking the rim as he/she is catching the ball.
- Make sure that the player does not travel.
- Change the angle of your passes and make it hard for the player to catch the ball.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The Player will start by posting up on the top side of the block, and the passer will be out near the top of the key with the ball.
- When the coach says go, the player will quickly back towards the baseline (simulating the ball being driven down the middle of the lane).
- The passer will whip the ball at the post player, and as the ball is coming to the player, he/she will catch and pivot over the top so that their shoulders are squared to the basket.
- From here, they are going to jump off two feet and finish with their outside hand.
- Complete the desired amount of repetitions and then switch sides and repeat.