Great ball handlers in basketball understand the importance of making sure that they stay out of dangerous situations like traps or congested areas where they may lose the ball. This one ball basketball dribbling drill will work on dribbling sideways out of trouble to avoid a trap or a congested area. When you do the push dribble, the goal is to get as much space as you can so that you can clear the pressure and avoid turning the basketball over.
You may not always be able to simply push dribble, and you might have to change the ball to your other hand before push dribbling out of the pressure. That is why you need to practice doing the push dribble with a crossover or similar type of move. Basketball drills like this are a must for any player who will handle the basketball for an extended period of time during a game.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Push Crossover Dribble Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and a partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Develop your handles and work on the push dribble move.
- Stay low in a dribbling stance.
- Be ready to change direction quickly.
- Keep your eyes up.
- Cover as much ground as you can on the push dribble.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player will start on the baseline standing sideways with a basketball in their hand that is facing up the court.
- When the coach says go, the player will push dribble out sideways up the floor and keep going until the coach yells the command to change.
- At this point, the player must crossover and immediately start to push dribble in the opposite direction.
- The coach will continue to yell change back and forth but let the player gradually proceed all the way up the court to the opposite baseline.
- When they reach the opposite baseline, the drill is over.
Great drill, I’m going to start using it today.
I’m at buder elementary and I’m apart of the team and we been whacking your basket ball video and they have been improved in under 2 days and every game we have we win so me and my team would like for you to check us out were at 5316 lansdow ave. st.louis mo 63109