If you cannot grab an offensive rebound with both hands, you may need to try and tip the basketball out to yourself. After tipping the ball out to yourself, it is a great time to attack because your defender and the rest of the defense is not yet set.
This basketball rebounding drill will work on tipping the basketball out to yourself, gathering, and then using a jab step go opposite move for the finish. To do this move, you will have to have good footwork and make sure that you do not travel. So as you go through this basketball drill, really focus on having good footwork. Once you get this move down, it can be very effective.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Rebound Tip Out Jab Step Go Opposite Finish Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball. A player/coach with pad (optional).
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Rebound Tip Out Quick Attack Basketball Drill
- Rebound Tip Out Shot Fake Attack Basketball Drill
- Tip Dunk Basketball Rebounding Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on rebounding, footwork, and shooting.
- Get up off the ground and jump your highest on the tip out and when you jump again to grab the rebound.
- Make sure that you do not travel on the move.
- If you need to slow it down to practice the footwork, that is okay.
- Really sell the jab step and seek the contact.
- If you do not have an extra player to do the pad, just do the drill without it.
- Don’t avoid the contact.
- Jab at the defender’s foot.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Stand on either elbow with a basketball.
- Now toss the ball up off the backboard and then go jump up in the air and tip it out to yourself in the short corner.
- Jump in the air, grab the ball with two hands, and then land and immediately get into triple threat position.
- You will jab with your foot that is closest to the baseline and then go middle for the finish at the basket.
- There will be a player or coach in the paint with a pad that will hit you as you make the move.
- This way, the player making the move will have to absorb the contact and finish anyway.
- If the player misses the shot, they will continue to follow their shot until they make it.
- After that, they will get back in line.
- You can either have the players switch sides each time or do a set number of reps on one side before switching.