You are not always going to be able to grab an offensive rebound with both hands. Sometimes you will need to tip the ball out to yourself so that you can grab it. If you can tip the basketball out to yourself, this is the perfect time to attack the basket, but you need to do it quickly.
It is a great time to attack because your defender is most likely out of defensive position because they have just been jumping with you trying to get the rebound themselves. If you can grab the ball and then quickly attack before they get set, you will most likely either get a finish or a blocking foul on them. Here is a great basketball rebounding drill that you can use to practice tipping the basketball to yourself and then using the quick attack finish.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Rebound Tip Out Quick Attack Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and 1 partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Superman Pivot Finish Basketball Rebounding Drill
- Post Defense Lane Line Slides Shot Fake Finish Basketball Rebounding Drill
- Superman Reverse Finish Basketball Rebounding Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on tipping the ball out to yourself on an offensive rebound and then finishing quickly past the defender before they can get set.
- Practice jumping as high as you can on the tip out and when you grab the board.
- Make your quick attack move right at the basket, not out towards the baseline.
- Don’t avoid the contact but create it and bump the defender backward.
- If you don’t have a pad or extra partner, you can do this basketball drill without a pad.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Have someone with a pad stand right by the basket and then a line of players just inside the free-throw line on one of the lane lines.
- The player will toss the basketball up against the backboard and then jump to tip it out to themselves in the short corner.
- As soon as they gather the ball, they are going to attack the basket going baseline.
- They must finish through the contact as the person with the pad hits them to simulate game contact around the basket.
- The player must keep going until they score the ball.
- After they do, they will get their own make and then get back in line.