Getting your basketball post players the ball in scoring position can really help to improve your team’s offense and scoring production. It doesn’t have to be all back to the basket post-ups either. You can get them the ball off of ball screens, penetration dump-offs, etc.
This basketball post move drill is going to work on some of these different types of scoring opportunities. It is really going to help the player get quality repetitions so that the moves transfer over to actual gameplay. Add this basketball drill to your training plan and really start to develop your post players into being scorers.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Relocation Post Scoring Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Elbow Pivot Series Basketball Finishing Drill
- Florida Gators Reverse Pivot Basketball Post Series
- Combination Post Scoring Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on different scoring situations that a post player will get during the course of a game.
- Work on different types of finishes around the basket and visualize the defender.
- Really lock in on the proper footwork and correct form for every move and shot.
- You can role open up whatever way that you want; just keep it consistent.
- The passer should mix up the types of passes on the penetration dump off.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The post player will start on the left block, and both partners are going to be on the right block.
- When the drill starts, partner 1 will dribble-drive towards the baseline.
- As they do, the post player must circle to the front of the rim to receive the pass for the finish.
- Immediately after that, the player will sprint out to partner 2 for a ball screen and roll for the finish.
- For the 3rd and final shot, the player will sprint back out to partner 2 again; set the ball screen, pop, and then shoot a catch and shoot shot.
- Reset as quickly as you can and then go through the 3 shots again.
- After 3-5 times through the set of shots, switch sides and repeat.