This resistance band workout will work on the player’s ability to quickly and explosively execute multiple jumps in a row. A couple of great examples of this skill being used in a game are when a player goes to finish at the basket, misses the first attempt, but quickly jumps back up and tips the ball in. Another example would be a post defender jumping to contest a shot and then immediately jumping again to rebound the miss. The player needs to quickly land and explode back upwards without having to take a long time to load.
The resistance band is really going to allow the player to develop their explosiveness, and the reason is because the band makes the player’s muscles have to work harder than they normally would. That way, when the resistance is removed, the muscles still think that they need to put out that max effort, which makes the player jump that much higher. This is a great basketball workout to add to your basketball training time in the gym and become a better jumper.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Resistance Band Backboard Touch Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: Resistance band and a partner (basketball optional).
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Work on developing a quick and explosive second jump.
- Do your best to land and immediately jump right back up.
- Don’t gather yourself or take a false step before jumping back up.
- Jump your highest every time.
- Don’t land with your legs locked out.
- You can adjust the tension of the band depending on the level of the player doing the drill.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player will hook the resistance band around their waist and stand in front of the backboard.
- The partner will hold the end of the band at a downwards angle towards the floor (light tension).
- The player is going to jump up and touch the backboard with both hands.
- As soon as they land, though, they are going to jump right back up.
- Repeat this for 8-10 repetitions.
- You can also add a basketball to touch against the backboard as well to make it more game-like.