Learning to be explosive laterally is an important part of guarding the basketball on defense. When the offensive player makes a dribble move in either direction, the defender must be able to slide laterally at a slight backward angle to cut them off with their chest. If the player cannot contain the dribble, then the offense will have free reign to the paint, and it will be a long night.
This resistance basketball drill will work specifically on moving laterally and doing it with resistance. Using the resistance band to train, you will force your muscles to work harder than they normally would. The zigzag drill is a common defensive basketball drill, but the resistance band takes it to a new level. This basketball workout doesn’t need to be done every day, but it is good to work on it once or twice a week.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Resistance Band Zig Zag Defensive Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: Resistance band, 5-10 cones, and a partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- 4 Cones Basketball Defensive Drill
- Lane Slide to Close Out Basketball Defensive Drill
- Medicine Ball Defensive Slides Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on defensive slides, explosiveness, and lateral quickness
- Stay low in a stance the entire time, don’t raise up.
- Push yourself to go as fast as you can, but make sure that you maintain good form.
- Don’t bring your feet together or cross them over.
- Keep your weight centered and get a good push off at each cone.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Starting on the baseline, set up 5 to 10 cones in a staggered position in the outside third of the court (cones should be about 6-8 feet apart).
- Hook resistance band around the player’s waist and have the partner grab the other side of it.
- The player will start at the first cone in the corner with his/her back facing the court; the partner will be in front of them, providing resistance.
- When the drill starts, the player will drop into a defensive stance and defensive slide out to the first cone.
- When they reach the first cone, they will plant their outside foot and then slide in the opposite direction to the next cone.
- This will continue all the way down the line of staggered cones.
- You can make the line as long as you would like.
- When you reach the end of the cones, you can have the player turn around and come back or switch out players.