Rajon Rondo is one of the craftiest basketball players in the NBA, and because he is so good at selling his fakes and moves, he is very good at finishing at the basket over or around bigger players. The Rondo fake is a good move for when a bigger defender is on your hip and trying to time your shot up to block it. This move is one of the basketball fundamentals for finishing around the basket and pivoting to score in the paint.
Watch this basketball training video to learn how to do a Rondo fake and to see a player demonstrate the move the correct way. Once you have seen the video and learned the move, it will be up to you to master the move and then start using it in a game. When you do the move, make sure that you are under control and sell the fake, those are the two biggest keys.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: How to Do a Rondo Fake in Basketball
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and a basket.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- How to Do a Rondo Fake Shot Fake Step-Through Move in Basketball
- How to Do a Rondo Fake Shot Fake Step Across Move in Basketball
Goals of the Drill
- Learn the fundamentals of the Rondo fake and how to execute the move the right way.
- Don’t drag your pivot foot, or it will be a travel.
- Make sure that your fake is towards the basket and not out to the side.
- When you pivot around for the shot, make sure that you get all the way around to have a higher percentage shot.
- You will use this move when you have a more athletic defender on your hip trying to time up your layup to block it.
- Extend the basketball all the way up on the Rondo fake.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Drive down the lane with your right hand and when you get to the basket plant so that your right foot is your pivot foot.
- As you are planting, you will fake like you are going to go up for a reverse layup with your left hand.
- The imaginary defender will fly by trying to block the shot, and you will pivot on your right foot all the way around to face the basket.
- Now shoot a jump hook, floater, layup, etc.
*** If you drive left, you will pivot on your left foot and Rondo fake with your right hand.