This catch and shoot basketball shooting drill is designed to work on your shot and your footwork coming into your shot. Having the proper footwork into your shot will really help your shooting percentage because you will be coming into your shot squared up and ready to shoot.
Basketball drills like this one are also a great way to get in shape because there is so much running between each shot. If the player pushes themselves and hustles from spot to spot, they will work on their cardio. So if done the right way, this basketball shooting drill can also double as a conditioning drill.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Running the W Basketball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 Basketball and a partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Warrior Mid Range Basketball Shooting Drill
- Square Up Shot Fake Footwork Basketball Drill
- Slow Square Shot Fake Attack Face Up Series Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on shooting, footwork coming into the shot, and conditioning.
- Come into your shot the same way every time, jump straight up and down and hold your follow-through.
- Don’t run off to the next shot until you have made or missed the current shot.
- Push yourself and work on your conditioning.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The shooter will start at half court just inside either sideline.
- The passer will be in the paint with the basketball.
- The shooter will run down to the corner just inside the 3 point line and get a pass.
- As they are catching the ball, they will step into their shot with a 1-2 step or hop step (depending on how the player shoots).
- After shooting the basketball, they will run back to half court and repeat the shot from the next spot.
- There will be a total of 7 shots that the player will shot, and they will touch half-court in between each shot.
- The shooting spots are all in the mid-range and in this order; corner, wing, elbow, top of the key, opposite elbow, opposite wing, and opposite corner.