Great shooters in basketball have confidence in their shot during a game because they have spent time working on their shot previously in the gym. They not only work on shooting a lot of shots, but they work on specific types of shots that they are going to get during the course of a game. They have mastered the shot in their workouts, allowing them to naturally shoot it at a high percentage in a game situation.
This specific basketball shooting drill is going to work on two types of shots. It will work on setting a screen and then shooting off a down screen (screen the screener action) and then using a flare screen for a shot. This basketball drill will help the player master these two types of shots, but it will also help them learn what shots are available within the offense.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Screen the Screener to Flare Basketball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs, 2 cones, and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- South Alabama M Basketball Shooting Drill
- Nuggets Basketball Shooting Drill
- 100 Point Basketball Shooting Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on shooting catching and shoot shots off a screen the screener action and then a flare-screen.
- Come into your shot the same way every time; correct footwork, low, and squared up on the shot.
- Really lock in on shooting the correct way as you get tired.
- Practice good shooting habits and stay mentally tough.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Set up a cone at the top of the arc and on the wing just outside the lane line.
- The passer will be on the left-wing, and the shooter will start on the left block.
- When the drill starts, the player will sprint to the right elbow, set a back screen for the imaginary offensive player, and then use the cone as the top of the key as a down screen for a catch and shoot shot.
- After they shoot the ball, they will immediately flare out to the cone on the wing for a shot.
- Reset on the left block and then repeat the same pattern.
- The player should go through 5 times for a total of 10 shots.