You must spend time working on finishing with your team regularly. If you draw up a play or a player makes a great move and cannot finish, it makes the great play or move worthless. You must designate a certain amount of time to work on finishing in your practices and training.
This team basketball drill will work on accounting for the help defense and making a second move before finishing at the basket. It is important that players can attack aggressively but also be under control and make sure that they can maneuver the help defense; this basketball drill will really help with working on that.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Second Move Team Finishing Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball per player (or a good amount of players to share), 3 chairs/garbage cans/cones, and a passer.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- One Foot Team Finishing Basketball Drill
- Pin Down Team Warm-Up Basketball Shooting Drill
- Two Foot Team Finishing Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on handling the basketball and making quick dribbling moves.
- Be aggressive on the attack, but stay under control and be able to change directions on a dime.
- Keep your eyes up as you are attacking, and scan the floor as you do.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Set up a chair on the right side of the basket on the main hoop, a chair in the middle of the paint centered with the basket, and a chair at the top of the key.
- The line of players is going to be out towards half-court on the left side of the court.
- The passer will be out on the right-wing 3-4 feet off of the 3 point line.
- When the drill starts, the first player in line will skip pass the ball over to the passer, set up their imaginary defender, and then come off the top chair like it is a screen.
- The player will receive the ball, rip through back to the left to attack the basket.
- When they get to the middle chair, they will make a change of direction move (between the legs, behind the back, crossover) to the right and attack the basket finishing outside of the last chair (work on finishing off of one foot and two feet).
- The player will get their own rebound and (if available) dribble attack to the side basket for a pull-up jump shot.
- If there is no side basket, just dribble back in line or dribble attack the opposite hoop before getting back in line.
- The next player in line will go right after the player in front of them begins to finish the layup.
- You can do this drill for a set amount of time or play the first player to a certain amount of points.
- Layups equaling 1 point and jumpers equaling 2 points.