Being able to finish in traffic takes practice, but it also takes learning the right moves first. This basketball drill is a game-specific drill that you can use to work on finishing around the basket. You are not always just going to be able to jump over someone to finish, so it pays to be crafty around the basket.
With this move, you will take advantage of the defender wanting to block your shot, but the move only works if you really sell your shot fake and then go somewhere with the basketball after you shot fake.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Shot Fake Counter Drop Step Spin Across Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and 3 chairs.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Shot Fake Counter In and Out Drill
- Shot Fake Counter Double Crossover Basketball Drill
- Shot Fake Counter Crossover Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on finish around the basket with the drop step spin move.
- Be under control on the spin move.
- After selling your shot fake, you want to push the ball out in front of you so that you can cover space and get past the defender.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Set up a chair at the top of the key and just above each block.
- The player is going to start at the top of the key with the basketball.
- They will spin the basketball to themselves, shot fake, drive to the right (2 dribbles), drop step spin at the second chair, and then finish with their left hand on the opposite side of the rim.
- Alternate which side you go after the shot fake on each rep.