This basketball finishing drill will simulate making a good shot fake move to get past your defender and then making a spin move on the second help defender that steps up. This is a game-specific move that you will use during the course of a game.
It is important, though, that you really sell your shot fake and then stay under control as you attack the basket. If you are out of control, you will likely pick up a charging foul when you drive. Basketball drills like this are designed with a specific game movement in mind, so they translate over to a live game situation very well.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Shot Fake Counter Drop Step Spin Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and 3 chairs.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Shot Fake Counter Behind the Back Basketball Drill
- Shot Fake Counter Between the Legs Basketball Drill
- Shot Fake Counter Crossover Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Learn how to finish around the basket using the drop step spin move.
- Be under control on the spin move and really try to visualize the defender.
- Cover ground after you shot fake the basketball.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Place a chair at the top of the key and then a chair just above each block on the lane line.
- The player will start with the basketball at the top of the key behind the first chair.
- They will spin the ball to themselves, shot fake, take two dribbles to the next chair, drop step spin, and then finish with their left hand.
- Repeat the move for the desired amount of reps and switch sides each time.
** You can also switch up which hand use finish with on either side.