If you are playing against a good basketball defense, making one good move to get by your defender may not be enough to get your shot off. This basketball drill will work on a situation where you shot fake your defender and drive past him, but another defender steps up and cuts you off. You can either pick up your dribble and kick out to a teammate or make another move.
This basketball finishing drill will work on making an in and out move after the shot fake. When you do the in and out move, you want to try and freeze the defender in their tracks and then blow by them.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Shot Fake Counter In and Out Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and 3 chairs.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Shot Fake Counter Double Behind the Back Basketball Drill
- Shot Fake Counter Behind the Back Basketball Drill
- Shot Fake Counter Double Crossover Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Learn how to shot fake, make a counter move, and finish at the basket.
- Sell your shot fake with the ball and your eyes.
- Change your speeds up and really sell your in and out move.
- Visualize the defenders in front of you and make game-like moves.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Place two chairs just inside the elbows on the free-throw line and the third at the top of the key.
- The player is going to start with the basketball at the top of the key.
- They will begin the drill by spinning the ball out, catching it, and then shot faking.
- Now take one dribble to the right, make an in and out move, and then finish with a step over move (bring the basketball over top of the imaginary defender).
- Get your own rebound and then repeat the drill but this time, go to the left.
**You can change up the finishing move if desired.