Having great footwork impacts so much of the game of basketball; this is especially true with shooting the basketball. If you look at great shooters in basketball, you will quickly realize that they really command their footwork and come into their shot on balance and under control on pretty much every shot, which is one of the big reasons why they are so consistent with their shot.
This catch and shoot basketball shooting drill is from Georgetown Assistant Coach Kevin Sutton, and it is going to really focus on footwork and coming into your shot the correct way. It is a great basketball shooting drill for new shooters that are trying to really develop the correct footwork, but it is also a great basketball drill for experienced shooters as well because it reminds them of the correct footwork that they need to be staying disciplined about.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Slide Basketball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball, 1 partner, and 6 cones/chairs.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- X Out Basketball Shooting Drill
- Kevin Sutton Curl Warm Up Basketball Shooting Drill
- Georgetown Warm Up Basketball Shooting Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Develop great footwork habits coming into your shot.
- Come into your shot the same way every time; butt down, show your hands, inside foot 1-2, etc.
- Stay in your shot until you make or miss, don’t run off early to the next shot.
- You can turn this into a basketball conditioning drill if you have the player go through the pattern 3-4 times.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Set up a line of chairs on each wing, with the first chair starting just outside the block and angled out to the wing 3 point line (3-4 feet in between each chair).
- The player will start in the center of the paint even with the first set of chairs, and the rebounder/passer will be under the basket.
- When the drill starts, the player will shoot a catch and shoot shot from where they are.
- After that shot, they will slide out to the first chair on their right and then come back to the middle of the paint for another catch and shoot shot using a 1-2 inside foot pattern.
- The player will then slide out to the first level chair on the left and repeat.
- This same pattern will continue for the final four chairs.
- To add more difficulty to the basketball drill, you can have the player immediately start back through the chairs again for a second set.
This looks like a great drill for footwork.
This is a great drill. Maximize shooting percentage and reaction on the catch and inside foot ! Great !!!!!!