In the mid-range post it is all about reading the defender and help defense to decide what move you should use. If the defender is playing off of you and you are a good shooter you can raise up, or if the defender is crowding your space you can sweep and drive past them.
This basketball drill is going to help you practice the right footwork for facing up your defender in the mid-post area, and then attacking them with the sweep move. Being able to do this move requires you to be very efficient with your footwork, and most likely finishing through contact. If you are quicker than the defender guarding you this is a great move to use. It is important that you learn to maximize your strengths and exploit the defense’s weaknesses.
As you go through this basketball finishing drill, do your best to visualize the defender in front of you. The better you can do this, the more realistic your moves will start to look.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Slow Square Sweep Move Face Up Series Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Practice your footwork and sweep move to the basket from the mid-post area.
- When you sweep, make sure that you are not angling it towards the baseline but are going in a straight line to the basket.
- Make your sweep move violent and don’t try to avoid the contact but seek it out (if using a pad or when using the move in a real game).
- See the floor when you are facing up so you can read the defense but also see open teammates and cutters.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Each player is going to have their own basketball and the first player is going to start on the block.
- They will spin the ball out to themselves and then go catch it in the mid-post area.
- As they catch the ball they are going to reverse pivot and slow square to the basket so that their shoulder is pointed directly at the basket.
- They will read the defense for a couple of seconds and then sweep hard to the baseline side and attack the basket for a finish.
- After they score they will get the ball out of the net and then repeat the move on the opposite block.
- Continue alternating back and forth for the desired amount of shots, makes, or time.