One of the best things that James Harden does is play at different speeds. He is an extremely skilled player, but one of the absolute best things he does is lull the defense to sleep before making an explosive blow-by move, or a move that allows him to create space to get a shot off.
This stationary one ball basketball dribbling drill will focus on being able to master this change of pace action with a behind the back crossover move. If you can really start to figure out playing at different speeds, you will make yourself extremely hard to guard. Another great thing about basketball drills like this one is that you don’t need much space to use them. So whether you are looking for basketball drills to do at home, on the sideline, for a basketball camp, etc., this is a great drill to use.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Slow to Fast Behind the Back Crossover Basketball Dribbling Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Slow to Fast Double Between the Legs Basketball Dribbling Drill
- Slow to Fast Between the Legs Behind the Back Basketball Dribbling Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on dribbling the basketball and being able to change speeds from slow to fast.
- Stay low in an athletic stance, and don’t let the ball come up too high after your move.
- Sell your move with your eyes, ball, and body.
- If you are using a 0-10 speed scale to determine the pace of your moves, you want to use a speed 3 on the first move to set up the defender and then a speed 10 on the second move to blow by the defender.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player is going to start with the basketball in their right hand.
- They will take a stationary dribble or two and then do a quarter speed behind the back move looking in one direction like they are running offense.
- As soon as the ball touches their left hand, they will make a violent crossover move back to their right hand.
- Take a couple of stationary dribbles in between and then repeat the double move.
- After the desired amount of time, switch hands, and repeat the move starting with your left hand.