The squeeze defense wing ball screen basketball drill is a game situation basketball drill that will work on getting open before the catch and then using a wing ball screen out of the triple threat position. A big key to using this move in a game is catching the basketball in a scoring position, so you must get a quality catch before using the ball screen action.
This basketball shooting drill is instructed by Wes Miller, the head basketball coach at UNCG, and he is going to teach you what you should be looking for as you use this move. Also, a player will demonstrate the move so that you can see exactly how it is done. You will learn how to read the defense and how to exploit the way they are guarding the ball screen. Add this drill to your basketball training plan and start working on mastering the ball screen.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Squeeze Defense Wing Ball Screen Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Ball Screen Defender Goes Under Re-Screen Basketball Drill
- Ball Screen Defender Goes Under Shot Basketball Drill
- Ball Screen Turn the Corner Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on footwork and getting squared up to the basket before shot faking and attacking off the dribble.
- Set your imaginary defender up before the ball gets to you and pop out at the right time to receive the pass.
- Be strong with the basketball in the triple threat and keep your eyes up.
- Read the defense with your first dribble and stay under control.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player will start on the wing with the basketball, and there will be a partner at the top of the key and opposite wing.
- When the drill starts, the player is going to skip the ball to the opposite wing.
- That partner will immediately swing the ball to the top of the key, and then they will swing it back to the player.
- While all of that was happening, the player needs to walk their imaginary defender down and then pop out to catch the pass.
- As soon as they catch the pass, the man at the top of the key will sprint over for a ball screen.
- The player will wait on the screen, sell that he/she is going baseline with a jab step, and then use the ball screen.
- This drill is working on simulating that the player’s defender is going under the screen (squeeze), so the player will stop behind the screen and shoot a 3 pointer.
- After the shot, the player will reset, or the next player in line will go.