The stagger to flare 3 point basketball shooting drill is designed to help the player move without the basketball and learn the proper footwork when using a stagger screen and a flare screen. These are two important screens for shooters to learn how to use. Depending on how the defense guards the shooter, they will have to adjust and use different types of cuts on the screens.
A big key to this catch and shoot basketball shooting drill is making sure that your body is squared up and moving straight up and down on each shot. The last thing that you want to do with basketball shooting drills like this is to practice bad habits on your footwork and shooting motion. This basketball drill will help teach the proper footwork and how to set up the cut before using it.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Stagger to Flare 3 Point Basketball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs, 2 chairs, and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Ray Allen Curl Cut Basketball Shooting Drill
- Ray Allen Fade Cut Basketball Shooting Drill
- Ray Allen Straight Cut Basketball Shooting Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on using a stagger screen and then also using a flare screen.
- Don’t drift on your shot and make sure that you have your feet under you and are balanced on the shot.
- Hold your follow-through and wait to see if your shot goes in before going to the next shot.
- Set the imaginary defender up each time.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Set up two chairs on either wing just inside the 3 point line about 6-8 feet apart.
- The player will start at the chair closest to the baseline, rebounder in the paint, and passer at the top of the key with the ball.
- The shooter will set his/her imaginary defender up and then come off the two chairs for a shot (simulating a stagger screen).
- After they shoot, they will set their imaginary defender up again and then use the first chair like it is a flare screen and space to the wing for a shot.
- The player will continue to go back and forth.
- The drill can go for a certain amount of time, shots, or makes.
- Switch sides after completing the drill and repeat.