In a game, you may not always be able to get a clear jumping path, and you may be forced to jump from awkward angles. Staggered stance squat jumps are a great way to simulate this because you are not jumping from a traditional stance each time. This vertical jump basketball drill will translate into the game when you jump in traffic to finish at the basket or to get a rebound, and you don’t have the ability to get a completely clean jumping path.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Staggered Stance Squat Jumps Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: none
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Develop your vertical leap and work on your jumping technique.
- Jump as high as you can each time and use your whole body to help you explode upwards.
- Land on your feet as softly as you can.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- This is a variation of the athletic position.
- Move one foot about a half-a-step back and perform your squat jumps.
- Begin by executing one at a time, then advance the drill by performing several jumps consecutively.
- Ultimately, you should be able to switch your stance in the air.