If used the right way, the freeze fake shot can be a great tool for a shooter. It allows the shooter to read the defender and then see if they will close out short or come all the way out on the shot. If the defender comes all the way out, the player can put the ball down and go by them, but if they close out short, the shot is still open, and they can shoot the basketball.
This catch and shoot basketball shooting drill will focus on the defender closing out short and using the freeze fake shot. You will be able to get a lot of repetitions at this particular shot with this basketball drill. Make sure that you are executing the move at game speed.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Star Drill Freeze Fake 3 Pointers (12 Spots)
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Work on the freeze fake 3 point shot and also develop your conditioning.
- Visualize the defender closing you out.
- Don’t bring the basketball too high or too low on the freeze fake; it should be forehead to chin on the freeze fake.
- When doing this basketball shooting drill, it will be critical that you get your body squared up on every shot and don’t drift.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Have the shooter start in the left corner behind the 3 point line.
- They will shoot a total of 12 freeze fake 3 point shots from different spots on the floor.
- The spots are; left corner, top of the key, right corner, left-wing, right-wing, and left corner.
- After shooting the second shot from the left corner, the player will run across the baseline and restart the drill from the right corner (follow the same pattern but backward).
- Stop after shooting the 12th shot.
- The shooter must run in a straight line to each new spot for the shot.
- The passer should move around and adjust the passing angle as needed.