This is a great catch and shoot basketball drill for both big men and shooters because it is in the mid-range shooting area. The purpose of this basketball shooting drill is to work on the footwork, mechanics, and timing of shooting on the move. It is a different feel than just shooting a stationary catch and shoot. Having the right basketball drills can really improve a player’s performance and productivity.
The freeze fake shot is more advanced, but it can be very effective if mastered. It is either used to get the defender off their feet for a shot, to draw a foul, or judge if the defender will closeout short. If you freeze fake and the defender closes out short, and without high hands, the player can go right into their shot.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Star Drill Freeze Fake Mid Range Shots
Equipment Needed: 2 Basketballs and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Work on shooting mid-range freeze fake shots on the move.
- Get your body squared up each time and focus on the proper footwork and mechanics of your shot.
- Run in a straight line to the next shot; don’t round your cuts off.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Begin on the baseline at the mid-range area.
- You will shoot a total of 6 freeze fake mid-range shots and in this order; corner, free-throw line, opposite corner, opposite wing, opposite wing, and finish in the corner you started in.
- The passer needs to adjust their position according to the shooter, and the shooter needs to run in a straight line to each spot for the shot.
- The shooter’s running pattern should look like a star if done right.