The freeze fake basketball shot is a great tool for shooters to use if they know how to use it the right way. For this basketball drill, you are simulating catching a pass, using a freeze fake to read the defender, realizing that the defender closed out short or with low hands, and then shooting the basketball in the basket.
Basketball is all about having a few great moves and then counters to those moves. The freeze fake is just another tool that shooters can use, and if used the right way, it can add a lot of value to your game as an offensive player. For this catch and shoot basketball shooting drill, you will simulate different cuts on the floor and then get into your shot with the correct footwork, body control, etc.
Along with this being a great basketball shooting drill, this drill can also be used for conditioning. If the player is going full speed and sprinting from spot to spot, they will improve their conditioning, along with their shooting.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Star Drill Freeze Fake Mid Range Shots (12 Spots)
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Get a lot of reps practicing the freeze fake shot and also working on your conditioning while shooting.
- Don’t bring the basketball too far down after the freeze fake; it is different than a shot fake.
- Get squared up on every shot, and don’t drift back or fade away.
- Practice the right footwork every time and maintain good basketball shooting fundamentals, even if you start to get tired.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The shooter is going to shoot a mid-range freeze fake shot from 12 different spots.
- The spots are; start in the left corner, top of the key, right corner, left-wing, right-wing, and then left corner again.
- After shooting the sixth shot in the corner, the shooter will run across the baseline and follow the same pattern but starting in the opposite corner this time.
- You must run in a straight line to each spot, don’t round your cuts off.