The star basketball shooting drill is great for learning how to shoot a specific shot. It takes hundreds of repetitions to become comfortable with a certain move and to be able to use it in a game. The shot fake 1 dribble freeze fake shot is a more advanced type of shot, so it will take a lot of repetitions to master it. Make sure, though, that every shot is at game speed because this will help to develop the correct muscle memory for the shot.
For this basketball shooting drill, you will get 12 of the same shots in a row from different spots on the floor, and since the shots are one after the other, the player will also be working on their conditioning. Finding basketball drills that work on a specific skill like shooting or ball handling and also conditioning can sometimes be a good substitute for sprints or other forms of conditioning.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Star Drill Shot Fake 1 Dribble Freeze Fake Shots (12 Spots)
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Work on the shot fake 1 dribble freeze fake shot and also improve your conditioning.
- As you get tired, lock-in, and don’t sacrifice your basketball shooting form.
- Sell your shot fake and cover ground; keep your eyes up and see the floor after you shot fake.
- Make sure that you note the difference between a shot fake and a freeze fake.
- You can dribble the basketball with your right or left hand after the shot fake, mix it up.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- One partner will rebound, and the other will be the passer (the passer must move around as the shooter moves from spot to spot).
- The shooter will shoot a shot fake 1 dribble freeze fake shot from a total of 12 spots.
- Have the player start in the left corner and follow this 12 spot pattern for the drill.
- They will shoot from the left corner, top of the key, right corner, left-wing, right-wing, and then left corner again.
- As soon as they finish, though, instead of taking a break, they will run across the baseline and start over again from the right corner and repeat the same pattern but opposite sides.
- The shooter must run in a straight line to each spot, don’t round the cuts off.