A shot fake in basketball can be a shooter’s best friend if used the right way. As a shooter, if you hit a couple of shots in a row and then sell a good shot fake, the defender is going to fly off their feet and allow you to drive right by them. This is a great basketball shooting drill for working on using the shot fake on the move. You must get your feet set, sell your shot fake, and then cover ground each time before you shoot the ball.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Star Drill Shot Fake 1 Dribble Pull Up
Equipment Needed: 1-2 basketballs and 1-2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Get multiple reps at the shot fake 1 dribble pull up from different spots on the floor.
- A big key to this basketball drill is making sure that the shooter runs in a straight line to each spot.
- Really focus on having the proper footwork, selling your shot fake, and covering ground on the dribble after the shot fake.
- Keep your eyes up on the dribble and don’t false step backward.
- Open up the right way to receive the pass each time.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The shooter is going to start in the left corner.
- They will shoot a total of 6 shots and in this order; left corner, top of the key, right corner, left-wing, right-wing, and then finish in the corner you started in (you can also start the drill from the right corner).
- At every spot, the shooter is going to catch the ball, shot fake, and take a dribble to the right or left for a one-dribble pull-up shot.
- The shooter must run to the next spot in a straight line.