Learning how to score off a down screen requires the player to read the defender and then make the right cut to get open for the shot. There are a few different types of cuts that the shooter can use, but for this basketball shooting drill, the player will work on the fade cut. This cut is going to be used if the defender tries to cheat the screen and go under. As the player recognizes this, they will plant their inside foot and fade out for a catch-and-shoot shot.
This catch and shoot basketball shooting drill is great because it allows the player to get a lot of repetitions at a specific shot. This will help them work on the footwork coming into their shot and the actual shot. Along with getting repetitions, the player will be able to work on their conditioning and learning to make shots when they are tired. Add this basketball drill to your basketball training plan today and start learning how to master the fade cut.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Stephen Curry Basketball Shooting Drill with Fade Cut
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs, 4 chairs/cones, and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Stephen Curry Basketball Shooting Drill with Curl
- Ray Allen Fade Cut Basketball Shooting Drill
- Ray Allen Straight Cut Basketball Shooting Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Practicing using a down screen, footwork, and using a fade cut.
- Practice visualizing the defender and using the screen the correct way.
- Come off of the down screen at game speed, and make sure that your body is squared up on the shot.
- Stay in your shot until you make it or miss, don’t run off to the next spot early.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Set up a chair in each short corner at about 12 feet out from the basket, and a chair just outside of each elbow.
- There will be a passer up top with a ball and a rebounder by the basket.
- The player will start under the basket and then come out either baseline chair.
- As the player is coming out, though, they will visualize their defender going under the screen, plant their inside foot as they reach the chair, and then fade cut out for a catch and shoot shot.
- After they shoot, they will go under the basket and repeat the same action on the other side; this will also continue for the other two chairs (player must start under the basket before using each chair).
- After the fourth chair, the player will sprint out past half court and then come back in for a trail catch and shoot 3 pointer.
- This completes one time through the drill.
- Depending on the player’s level and age, you can go through the drill multiple times in a row without stopping.