If you don’t have confidence in your shot or are scared to take a big shot in a game, you will most likely miss it. That is why you must train yourself to be mentally strong and to trust your shot. It is not enough to just work on your shooting. You need to train your mind as well, and this is one of the better pressure basketball drills to use to do that.
By putting consequences on the shooter for missing in this basketball shooting drill, you help train them to learn to shoot under pressure. If they can learn to overcome some of the pressures of shooting, this will help them to shoot and make that big shot at the end of the game. It is challenging to simulate game pressure, but this catch and shoot basketball shooting drill does a good job simulating some of that pressure.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Three-Point Make 2 Miss 2 Pressure Basketball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- 2 Minute Magic Basketball Shooting Drill
- Peer Pressure Partner Basketball Shooting Drill
- 5 Point Numbers Basketball Shooting Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Get up a lot of shots and also work on your mental toughness and learning to shoot under pressure.
- If you missed the previous shot, let it go. The only shot that matters is the next one.
- Work on your basketball shooting mechanics and shoot the ball the same way every time.
- Stay in your shot until you miss or make, and don’t be in a rush to get to your next shot.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player shooting the basketball will shoot from 5 different midrange spots inside the 3 point line; both corners, both wings, and the top of the key, and they will have a total of 2 minutes to complete the drill.
- He/she will start in the corner ready to shoot, and they must make 2 shots in a row to get to the next spot.
- They will have to make 2 shots in a row from each spot, but if they miss 2 in a row, they must go back to the previous spot (except if they are already in the starting corner).
- The drill stops when the player makes 2 consecutive shots from each spot or the 2 minutes runs out.