Touch basketball shots are a great way to build up a player’s shooting form and really improve their hands around the basket. This curl basketball shooting drill will allow you to get 8 shots in a row doing the exact same motion. Basketball drills like this are key because they allow the player to lock in on a specific skill and begin to master it.
This basketball shooting drill will help you develop good footwork and form for shooting the curl shot. The great shooters in basketball like Ray Allen, JJ Redick, etc., all come into their shot the same way every time. So really focus on developing a strong base as a shooter, and build on that.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Touch Shots Curl Basketball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketball, 7 cones, and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Ray Allen Curl Basketball Shooting Drill
- Mid Range Curl Basketball Shooting Drill
- Block to Block Basketball Shooting Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Develop a good touch around the basket and work on the proper footwork for curling a down screen.
- Really focus on good footwork and shooting the basketball with the proper form each time.
- Hold your follow-through and stay balanced on every shot.
- Plant your inside foot, show your hands, and dip your inside shoulder as you come around for the curl.
- You can also practice calling for the ball if you want to work on communication.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Place 7 cones on the floor in a half-circle at about 12 feet out from the basket.
- Have the coach/passer stand with the basketball at the top of the key and the other player/partner stand by the basket.
- The shooter will start under the basket, set up the imaginary defender, and then come off the baseline cone for a curl shot.
- Shoot the ball and then reset under the basket before coming off the next cone for another curl.
- Go all the way to the top cone and then restart on the opposite baseline and go up to the top cone again.
- You will shoot a total of 8 shots.
- The rebounding player will try and not let any of the basketballs shot to touch the ground.
- This will help to work on rebounding as well.