The transition attack 2nd defender basketball drill is a great drill that simulates transition scoring opportunities that you may encounter during the course of a game. This basketball drill works on catching the ball in transition, making a move to get past your defender, and then finishing around or over the second defender. It takes being able to be explosive but also under control to be able to master this move.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Transition Attack 2nd Defender Finish Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball, chairs or cones, and a partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Improve finishing in transition.
- Don’t travel on the catch, slow to fast, sell your move, finish strong at the basket.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The coach will be standing just across half court with the ball, and the player will start at half court on either wing.
- The player will sprint down the floor, and as he reaches the 3 point line, the coach will pass him the ball.
- Set up a chair just inside the 3 point line and 2 chairs slightly behind the first to the right and left.
- The chairs simulate the first and second help defenders.
- The player wants to catch the ball with both hands, gather his feet, and perform the designated move.
- It is up to the coach what moves to work on. You can work on catch and shoot, shot fake one dribble pull up, rip through right or left, shot fake finish at the basket, etc.
- Once you make your move past your defender, you need to react to a second defender coming to help.