This vertical jump basketball drill combines vertical training with mental toughness. As you begin to get tired, you still need to think and push yourself to jump as high as you can each time. Squat jumps are also a great way to develop the proper jumping technique. Focus on using your entire body to explode upwards each time.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: 1/4 and 1/2 Turn Squat Jumps Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: None.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Improve vertical leap, explosiveness, and landing techniques
- Land softly each time and really focus on exploding upwards as high as you can each time.
- Throw your arms up in the air as you jump up.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- From an athletic position, on the coach’s signal, jump as high as you can, turning in the air and landing back in an athletic position facing the side (1/4 Turn) or the rear (1/2 Turn).
- Begin with one jump at a time, then progress to several in a row, concentrating on always landing in an athletic position and minimizing ground contact time.
- Advance the drill by having the coach signal various changes in direction as you are jumping.