Great basketball post players have 2 or 3 moves that they have mastered and then counters for those moves if the defender tries to take it away. You don’t have to have a bunch of moves and flash to be great in the post.
This basketball post move drill is going to work on driving the post player back for a hook shot, but then instead of going up with a straight hook shot, the player is going to sell the hook to get the defender off of their feet and then use an up-and-under finish. It is a really great move to use against defenders that like to try and block shots.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Up and Under Basketball Post Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and two partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Off the Block Basketball Post Drill
- Florida Gators Jump Hook Basketball Post Series
- High Low Basketball Post Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on finishing in the post with the up and under move.
- Take your time on the catch, be under control, and stay balanced.
- The details sell the up and under move, so make sure that you use your eyes, the ball, and your body.
- Make sure that you are staying in a wide strong base.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The ball will start at the top of the key on the left lane line, and the post player will be on the left block with a dummy defender on them.
- To start this basketball drill, the ball handler/passer will dribble over to the wing.
- As they are doing that, the post player is going to duck in and post up.
- The dummy defender is going to drive the post player off of the block to receive the catch.
- The post player will receive the entry pass, check their inside shoulder, and then back down the defender towards the middle.
- When the post player gets to a deep position in the paint, they will shot fake a hook shot and then step through to the left side of the defender for a finish.
- Repeat this action for as many reps as desired and then switch sides.