This is a great basketball speed and agility workout for working on change of direction. As a basketball player, you want to be able to move laterally, forward, or backward at a moment’s notice. When you do this basketball workout, you want to be as athletic as possible and really stay low on your cuts. It is also important that you watch the footwork and do your best to be as efficient as you can on your movements.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: W Change Direction Drill, Speed Training
Equipment Needed: 5 cones.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Improve Change of Direction quickness and footwork
- Be light on your feet and have a bend in your knees when you go to change directions.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Set up the 5 cones in the shape of the letter W and have the athlete start at one of the ends of the cones.
- This drill can be done with lateral shuffles, sprint/back peddle, or foot crossovers.
- The athlete goes from one cone to the other in a straight line all the way down and all the way back.
- This drill can also be done with a basketball.