One of my favorite players to watch in the game is Jamal Crawford. It seems like he is able to pause for an unlimited amount of time before making a sharp change of direction move to make the defender look silly. It isn’t that he is that much faster, quicker, or more athletic than anyone else; it is simply because he has mastered the ability to change speeds, sell a move, and read the defender.
This basketball dribbling drill will really focus on being able to sell your move and change up your speeds. The specific move that is being worked on is the between the legs behind the back combo move, but this basketball drill is great because it really allows the player to work on these other areas of ball handling as well.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Walking Between the Legs Behind the Back Basketball Dribbling Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Work on selling the between the legs behind the back move and really changing up speeds.
- Stay low in a low athletic stance the whole time.
- Don’t be a robot with your movements; really look to pause, sell your move, and changeup speeds as you go through this one ball basketball dribbling drill.
- Keep your eyes up as you do the drill, and use your eyes to sell the move.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player is going to start on the baseline with a basketball.
- The player will take a stationary dribble (the only one during the drill), pause, and then make an explosive between the legs behind the back combo move leading themselves forward with the move.
- Without taking any stationary dribbles in between, the player will pause again and then execute the same move.
- Continue this pattern all the way to the free-throw line and then retreat dribble back to the baseline.
- Repeat the same action, but this time starting with your other hand.