The wall explosions drill is about teaching the player how to start quickly and efficiently. In a game, you may go from a complete standstill to having to sprint down the floor in transition. When this happens, you don’t want to have any wasted movement or motion. You want to be able to get into your full sprint as quickly as you can. This basketball workout is going to teach the proper technique to a quick start.
In this video, you will see the instructor teaching how to do the movement; make sure that you really watch for the proper technique and look to repeat the motion. That way, you will know what you are doing when you repeat the exercise during your own basketball training time. You must spend the time learning it the correct way before getting into the repetitions part of developing muscle memory. The instructor has worked with multiple professional athletes, so you know that you will be getting expert advice.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Wall Explosions Drill
Equipment Needed: Wall.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Rolling Starts Drill
- The Techniques of Running – Drive Phase Drill
- The Techniques of Running – First Step Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Explosive acceleration, proper angle, an optimal path of the leg.
- Maintain a straight line from your foot to your head; do not bend the hips.
- Limit the amount of flexion in the knee as you raise your leg.
- You want your foot to get out in front of you as quickly as possible.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Distance yourself from a wall so that you can maintain a 45° angle while holding yourself up.
- From the athletic position, roll forward as far as you can until you cannot maintain balance.
- At the last possible moment, explosively extend your hips (as if you were tackling somebody) to drive yourself towards the wall.
- Catch yourself with your outreached arms.
- Begin this exercise in steps:
- 1) Drive towards the wall.
- 2) Lift one leg straight up, knee bent, toes curled up.
- To advance this drill, try to simultaneously lift your leg as you drive towards the wall.
- Once you master the initial wall explosion movement, then progress into the wall running movement.
- You can advance to doing this by first performing a wall explosion.
- You may do this in steps or as one movement.
- Upon the coach’s signal, quickly switch legs.
- You should end up in the same position as before (i.e., straight line from head to toe), just with the opposite leg up.
- You may initially perform this as one switch at a time, but you should soon advance to several switches in a row.
- Ultimately, you should be able to perform a wall explosion and, without hesitation, go into the wall running drill.