Being a great ball-handler in basketball requires the player to make a move and change direction quickly without really having any notice. The player must also be able to dribble the basketball with their eyes up and focus on multiple things at the same time. This basketball dribbling drill is great for simulating having to make quick moves and change direction without notice and focusing on something besides dribbling (catching the tennis ball).
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Wall Tennis Ball Reverse Between the Legs Basketball Dribbling Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 Basketball, 6-10 Tennis Balls, and a Partner
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Wall Tennis Ball Weak Hand Basketball Dribbling Drill
- Wall Tennis Ball Between the Legs Basketball Dribbling Drill
- Wall Tennis Ball Crossover Basketball Dribbling Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Develop quick moves as well as quick hands.
- Stay low as you slide and dribble the basketball.
- Try not to rise up out of your stance when you make your move and catch the ball.
- Keep your eyes up the whole time.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Start with a basketball in your left hand and face the wall about 3-4 feet away from it.
- The coach is going to stand behind the player with all of the tennis balls.
- The player will drop down into an athletic stance and slide left while dribbling with his left hand.
- When the coach throws the ball off the wall, the player will dribble the basketball reverse between his/her legs and then catch the tennis ball with their left hand.
- If the player catches the tennis ball, they will drop it behind them and immediately slide to the right.
- Every time the coach throws the ball against the wall, the player will make the move, catch the ball, and then change the direction they are sliding.
- The coach needs to throw the tennis ball to the side of the player that the ball is on because that is the hand they will catch the tennis ball with.
- The coach can also determine the difficulty of this basketball drill by how hard how they throw the tennis ball against the wall.