This is not one of your typical basketball dribbling drills, but it is still a great drill because it works on multiple things simultaneously. It works on ball handling, conditioning, and hand-eye coordination. Even for non-ball handlers like big men, this wall tennis ball basketball dribbling drill is good because it will help develop soft hands. It will also help develop quick hands and quick handles.
When you handle the basketball in a game, you don’t want to have to worry about dribbling because then you won’t be able to see the floor and make the right play. This basketball drill will help you not have to focus on dribbling and keep your eyes up because you will have to focus on tossing and catching the tennis ball every time. Basketball drills like this are also great because they keep the players interested and help keep a fresh rotation of drills going.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Wall Tennis Ball Strong Hand Basketball Dribbling Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 Basketball, 5-10 tennis balls, and a Partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Wall Ball Reaction Basketball Drill
- Wall Tennis Ball Weak Hand Basketball Dribbling Drill
- Partner Tennis Ball Toss Crossover Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on ball handling as well as hand-eye coordination.
- Stay low while dribbling the basketball and be ready to react quickly to the tennis ball while still keeping your dribble tight to your body.
- The coach needs to try and toss the tennis ball on the side of the free hand.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player will stand with a basketball in their strong hand and face the wall about 3 feet away.
- The coach is going to stand behind the player with the tennis balls.
- When the drill starts, the player will begin dribbling with his/her strong hand and sliding back and forth facing the wall.
- At any time, the coach can toss the tennis ball against the wall.
- The player must catch the tennis ball off the wall while keeping their dribble alive.
- If you catch the tennis ball, just drop it right behind you and keeping sliding back and forth.
- Continue for the desired amount of time or catches.