Using the shot fake effectively in a basketball can add a lot of value to a shooter because the defense must respect the shot. With a great shot fake, you can sometimes get the defender to leave their feet, which opens up the floor and gives options to the player with the ball. It will also keep the defense more honest on their closeouts and won’t allow them to fully commit to closing you out tight.
For this basketball drill, you will work on coming into the shot fake with the proper footwork, selling the move, and then going left for a pull-up. You want to make your shot fake look just like your shot to really sell the defender. This shot fake basketball shooting drill will allow you plenty of repetitions at selling your shot fake, so really make sure to capitalize on them.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Warrior Shot Fake 1 Dribble Left Pull Up Basketball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 Basketball and a partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Warrior Mid Range Basketball Shooting Drill
- Square Up Shot Fake Footwork Basketball Drill
- Slow Square Shot Fake Attack Face Up Series Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on your footwork coming into your shot and selling your shot fake.
- Come into your shot fake the right way every time (mainly footwork).
- Sell your shot fake and visualize the defender leaving their feet.
- Go somewhere with your dribble and get past the imaginary defender.
- Hold your follow-through and wait till your shot goes in or misses before running off to the next spot.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The shooter is going to start just above either elbow, ready to go.
- The passer will be under the basket with the ball to start.
- To start this basketball shooting drill, the passer will pass the ball out to the shooter, and he/she will step in, catch the ball, shot fake, take one dribble to the left, and pull up for a shot.
- After the shot, the player will run to the corner and then fill up to the elbow from the corner and do the same move.
- The next spot they will go is to the sideline and fill into the corner and do the same move.
- Finally, they will run to half court and fill in from the top to do the shot fake one to the left pull up shot move.
- Now start over and repeat the drill from the other elbow.