Being able to plant and change directions quickly is used so often during the course of a basketball game. Whether you are making a move off the dribble or sliding to cut a man off on defense, you are planting and changing direction. A lot of younger basketball players struggle to do this efficiently. This basketball quickness and speed workout will help to train and develop a player’s change of direction quickness.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Zig Zag Cone Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 6 cones.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Improve Change of Direction quickness
- Have bend in your legs when you change direction, try to get to full speed in between each cone, and still be under control
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Set up the 6 cones staggered across from each other about 4 yards apart.
- Then have the athlete start at one of the ends of the cones.
- This drill can be done with lateral shuffles, sprint/back peddle, or foot crossovers.
- The athlete goes from one cone to the other in a straight line all the way down and all the way back.
- This drill can also be done with a basketball.